Digital Design Manager
National Domestic Workers Alliance,April 2020 - Present|Remote (New York)
Implements custom modular web infrastructures in order to enable content creators to self-publish and manage web content. Works with department directors to audit both internal processes and externally-facing consumer products to develop strategies for testing and improving user flows.
Block Party,February 2020 - Present|Remote (San Francisco, CA)
Develops internal processes for more efficient workflows. Trains team members to use task management, bug tracking, and feature planning software. Actively contributes to overall feature planning and UX/UI direction of the product. (https://blockpartyapp.com)
Owner & UX/UI Designer
Purely Functional,2011 - Present|Remote (Seattle, WA)
Runs a three-person remote development team in building websites, web applications, and mobile apps. Designs all user flows, prototypes, and high-fidelity layouts, and translates them to fully responsive custom code and styles. Conducts business analyses in order to update existing systems to more efficient management workflows.
- Hazel Analytics, built a fully responsive marketing website with custom graphics and CSS animations for a Seattle-based SaaS company. (https://hazelanalytics.com)
- Native Stories, designed the logo, created app prototypes, and managed the frontend development of a Hawaii-based storytelling app.
- Root + STEM, designed a responsive web application and built an interactive, living data visualization of Hawaii STEM resources. (https://www.rootandstem.org/map)
Product Owner & UX/UI Designer
AirshipCMS,2013 - Present|Seattle, WA
Manages the overall product, design, and development for all features of the Airship CMS PaaS web development platform. Established a design system for consumer-facing modules and designed and built the marketing website. Currently managing relationships with 10 clients using the platform. (https://airshipcms.io)
Braintrust,December 2019 - March 2020|Remote (San Francisco, CA)
Communicated with leadership on a daily basis and managed the team building the company’s new consumer-facing website launched in March 2020.
Extreme Arts & Sciences,2018 - 2019|Seattle, WA
Designed and coded fully responsive layouts for various small-scale websites to enterprise-scale web applications.
- Loyalty Program, served as Product Owner for the ideation phase of a loyalty program targeted at a niche market. Pitched to the C-level team of a Credit Union.
- Credit Union Website, served as an interim Account Manager for the initial six weeks of the project. Produced wireframes and built fully responsive layouts.
- Sales Playbook, designed the information architecture for an enterprise company’s sales team playbook in order to propose improved UX.
- Launch, designed a team-building game that is currently being used as a seminar training tool. Conducted extensive user tests and led rapid development sprints in order to ensure effective game mechanics. (https://launch-game.airshipcms.io/)
- Matchmaking, designed a web application for conference attendees to find others with similar interests and schedule one-on-one meetings. Worked closely with the backend developer to ensure that designs could be built to spec within a constrained time frame.
Web Designer & Guest Instructor
DevLeague,2013 - 2015|Honolulu, HI
Served as a design mentor and instructor. Created curriculum for the following topics: responsive web architecture, SCSS, and grid systems.
Sudokrew Solutions,2013 - 2014|Honolulu, HI
Contracted as a website and web application designer for this Hawaii-based full-stack software development company.
- High-End Car Leasing Company, created detailed user flows and interactive prototypes for the sales tool, consumer platform, and admin management interface.
- Comprendio, designed a new UI for a system of dynamic infographics for a mind-mapping / education web platform.
Game Designer, Curriculum Developer, & Instructor
Goma Games,2011 - 2015|Honolulu, HI
Led a small team in creating games that teach leadership, game development, and programming skills to a K-12 audience. (https://gomagames.com)
- STEM Projects, created an open-source archive of game development tutorials and resources. (https://stem.gomagames.com)
- La Pietra Summer Tech Program, developed the curriculum for and instructed a summer tech series in game design, illustration, and programming for four years.
- Global Game Jam, organized the Hawaii site for the International Global Game Jam Hackathon for four consecutive years.
Various Clients / Companies,2008 - 2011|Honolulu, HI
Designed logos, created branding systems, produced packaging and print materials, illustrations, and fully-coded website layouts for various clients and agencies including HumanHand, Wall to Wall Studios, and the University of Hawaii Art Gallery.
- M.A.P. Student Planner, worked with the team from Manoa Alcohol Project to utilize a $20k budget to design, print, and distribute 2,000 copies of a student planner that served as a resource for alcohol awareness.
- Writing with Thread, worked with the University of Hawaii Art Gallery to design a 300+ page catalogue featuring an extensive collection of Chinese textiles. The book received a Pele Regional ADDY Award for book design in 2010.
- User Interface Design
- Mobile App Design
- Responsive Web Design
- Tools: Illustrator, Sketch, InVision, Photoshop, Animate, Adobe Draw
- Paper Prototypes
- Interactive Prototypes
- User Flows
- User Personas
- Test Group Moderation
- Information Architecture
- Tools: Sketch, InVision
- CSS Animation
- CSS Frameworks (Foundation, Bootstrap, Bulma, Semantic UI, etc)
- Basic Gulp/Node Workflows
- Tools: Github, VS Code, iTerm, Chrome, Codepen.io
Product & Project Management
- Strategic Planning
- Feature Roadmapping
- Client Management
- User Acceptance Testing
- Kanban, Agile Workflows
- Issue Creation & Tracking
- Technical Writing
- Tools: Github Projects, Basecamp, Asana
Awards & Education
Featured Blog Post
How I Fixed Gmail’s UX and Saved My Sanity,Modus.Medium.com,2020
Unicorns vs. Dragons,Node Knockout,2016
Pele Regional ADDY Award for Book Design
Writing with Thread,Pele Awards,2010
University of Hawaii
BFA Graphic Design,2009
- Suma cum laude
- Full-tuition Regents Scholarship
- Honored as top Graphic Design student
Mililani High School
- Editor-in-Chief of Trojan Times